Meeting Minutes: March 17, 2009
RECORD OF PROCEDINGS :
Council called to order by Mayor Amy Joseph on
Tuesday, March 17, 2009 at 7:00 pm at the Rockford Village Hall.
Invocation was given by Gene Steiner Pledge of Allegiance
Those present: Gehle, Steiner, McKee, Pontsler, Searight, Rutledge Also attending: Judy Koesters, Chief May, Jeff Long
Motion Steiner. Second Searight to accept Agenda as Orders of the Day. Pontsler called for the question. Steiner = y, Searight = y, Pontsler = y, Gehle = y, McKee = y, Rutlege = y. Passed 6 yes.
Motion: Steiner. Second Searight to accept the minutes from the
March 3, 2009 as submitted by the Fiscal Officer. Gehle called for the question. Steiner = y, Searight = y, Gehle = y, McKee = y, Pontsler = y, Rutledge = y. Passed 6 yes.
Visitors to Address Council:
Mayor’s Report and Correspondence:
Village Administrator’s Report – Jeff Long
1. Review of South Main Street Project:
A. Roadway Reconstruction Project bids – Engineer estimate $625,000.
Tom’s Construction low bid $397,222.00
- Enhancement Project Bids – Engineer estimate $840,000. Shinn Bros. low bid $678,185.50
- Award Tom’s Construction Roadway Reconstruction Resolution 06-09
- Award Shinn Bros. Enhancement Project Resolution 07-09
- Funding overview
2. Saturday – March 14, 2009 the Rockford Chamber of Commerce held its annual Business Expo at the school. Lisa and I manned a booth for the Village. The Economic Development Committee surveys were distributed. 13 have been returned at this time. Contact was made with the Parkway Independent and they will post it online. Mr. Browning of Parkway Web Design Class will post on the Village web site. Thanks to the Chamber as the event was well attended and good for our Community.
- A review of signs throughout the Village has been completed and we need to purchase approximately $1,000 worth of signs and posts at this time. Will look for the best deal.
- During the heavy rain event we surveyed the Village and came up with areas to be jet rodded to try to improve drainage. Areas cleaned and improved were Front to Market improving the drain from Main Street down Columbia Street, Franklin Street from Market St. to Front St. and First St. by the old railroad sewer. Repairs were found to be needed on Pearl at West St and the old railroad sewer on the south end as three trees seem to be impairing the flow.
- A permit for a new home in the Heather Park Subdivision has been issued.
- We have submitted three projects for stimulus funding: A. New wastewater treatment plant
C. Reconstruction of Franklin and Market St.
7. The Neighborhood Revitalization Project activities will be put to bid soon: A. Sidewalk along Holly Lane and retaining wall at Community Building.
- 12 inch water line from water plant to Buckeye St.
- Storm trunk line from Front St through park to intersection of West
St and US 33
- Lights at ball diamonds and sanitary sewer to service the restroom
at the park.
- Clearance activities for demolition of pool and one residential
• RESOLUTION 06-09
A RESOLUTION BY THE COUNCIL OF THE VILLAGE OF ROCKFORD, OHIO, AWARDING A CONTRACT FOR THE SOUTH MAIN STREET ROADWAY RECONSTRUCTION PROJECT, AND AUTHORIZING AN OFFICIAL TO SIGN THE CONTRACT DOCUMENTS.
Motion: Steiner, Second Searight. Ponstler called for the question.
Steiner = y, Searight = y, Pontsler = y, Gehle = y, McKee = y, Rutledge = y. Passed 6 yes.
• RESOLUTION 07-09
A RESOLUTION BY THE COUNCIL OF THE VILLAGE OF ROCKFORD, OHIO, AWARDING A CONTRACT FOR THE SOUTH MAIN STREET ENHANCEMENT / PAVING PROJECT, AND AUTHORIZING AN OFFICIAL TO SIGN THE CONTRACT DOCUMENTS.
Motion McKee, Second Pontsler. Searight called for the question.
McKee = y, Pontsler = y, Searight = y, Gehle = y, Steiner = y, Rutledge = y. Passed 6 yes.
Finance Committee: Todd McKee
Motion Steiner, Second Pontsler to pay bills in the amount of $16,387.66 as submitted by the Fiscal Officer. Gehle called for the question. Steiner = y, Pontsler = y, Gehle = y, McKee = y, Searight = y, Rutledge = y.
Passed 6 yes.
Chief May gave a report on a stimulus grant package that includes new hire of Law Enforcement. This grant would be 100% funding for the first 3 years and we would be required to continue the employment for 12 months after.
• RESOLUTION #08-09
A RESOLUTION AUTHORIZING THE SUBMITTAL OF AN APPLICATION FOR COPS HIRING RECOVERY PROGRAM AND DECLARING A SIGNATORY OFFICIAL.
Motion Searight. Second Gehle. Pontsler called for the question.
Searight = y, Gehle = y, Pontsler = y, Steiner = y, McKee = y, Rutledge = y. Passed 6 yes.
Service Committee: Steve Gehle
Met with Park Board. There have been some discussions regarding building a cover over the concrete pad at the park. Would be like a pole building without the sides. There are some committees that are willing to donate time and materials. Also some discussion on raising the concrete and doubling the size of the stage. Will get council approval when plans are definite.
Safety Committee: Kathy Rutledge
School reported we don’t need painting on the street for bus stop at this time. Safety Committee meeting: Tuesday, March 24th at 7 pm.
• RESOLUTION 09-09
A RESOLUTION OF THE COUNCIL OF THE VILLAGE OF ROCKFORD, OHIO, AUTHORIZING AN AMBULANCE SERVICE CONTRACT WITH THE COUNTY OF MERCER, OHIO.
Motion McKee. Second Steiner. Gehle called for the question. McKee = y, Steiner = y, Gehle = y, Pontsler = y, Searight = abstain, Rutledge = y. Passed 5 yes.
Economic Development Committee: Eugene Steiner
Economic committee wants to hold a meeting with Jeff to get a list of all businesses and manufacturers in the Village and schedule to meet with those individuals. Will report at next council meeting April 7th.
Nothing to report concerning RADC – next meeting April 16th. Will report to Council at April 21st meeting.
Public Utilities Committee: Rules Committee:
Meeting adjourned 7:23 pm.