Meeting Minutes: August 1, 2023

Created with Sketch.

Meeting Minutes: August 1, 2023

Council called to order by Mayor – Amy Joseph on August 1,2023

at 7:30 pm.

Invocation –    Ron Searight

Pledge of Allegiance

Those present:   Marcas Heitkamp, Ron Searight, Luke Stephenson,

Rick Shindeldecker, Mary Beougher, Chris Heitkamp.   

Also attending:   Ross Finke, Francis Schaffner, Robbie Peel, Marge Gehle, Cheif Stetler, Patrolman May, Jason and Deb Rollins, and  Erin Gardner of the Daily Standard.

Motion Searight.  Second Beougher to accept the agenda as orders of the day. Stephenson called for the question.   Searight = y, Beougher = y, Stephenson = y, M Heitkamp = y, Shindeldecker = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Motion Searight.  Second Shindeldecker to accept the minutes from the July 18, 2023 council meeting as presented.  Stephenson called for the question.  Searight = y, Shindeldecker = y, Stephenson = y, M Heitkamp = y, Beougher = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Visitors to Address Council:

* Note deadline for council agenda the Friday before council at 4 pm.  *

                        ***  time limit 5 minutes  ***

Mary Beougher introduced our new neighbor and Rockford’s newest business owners – Jason and Deb Rollins of Rockford Cabinet Company.    Jason gave a summary of his background and his years of experience in cabinet making which actually started in the location they just purchased.  The Rollins plan to have an open house and grand opening.       Congratulations !

Mayor’s Report and Correspondence: 

Community Announcements and events:

Tuesday – August 8th – State Special Election –  Community Building

ISSUE 1 – Proposed Constitutional Amendment

 Monday – August 21st –   Welcome back to School  – Students and Administration – Make it a great one Panthers !

Saturday – September 9 Fire Department – reverse raffle/chicken dinner

Dinner starts @ 5:00. Raffle @ 7:00

Saturday, October 28th – Rockford Trick or Treat 5-6:30 pm with Costume Judging at the Fire Department at 7 pm.

Tuesday – November 7th – General Election –  Voting at Community Building

Village Administrator’s Report – Aaron Temple  

New water tower — print crew in town and will be starting the project.

Rehab water tower –  crew moving in and will take 3 – 4 weeks to complete the project.

WWTP – odor issues.   The process we have been using has cost $31,000 so far.  Still having issues.   We will be pausing the process and see what happens.  The yearly cost of the process is over $100,000 and is just not feasible.  Will re-evaluate in a couple of weeks and continue to seek options.

Will be picking up brush from the storms this week.

Received 1 quote and waiting on a couple others for the pond shelter house.

Still planning to get maintenance done to the village office building.  Will be ordering materials in the next week or so.  Plan to have done by the end of the year.

Last meeting concerns regarding pools —   the several without fences have weight bearing covers.   Need to update the ordinance as this would be acceptable. 

Concrete work beside Holeshot — still on the list of things to do.

Subdivision covenants —  updated section #6 – regarding out buildings – yes are permitted.   Updated section #21 –   adding that concrete sidewalks and drive ways need to be installed within 1 year of building completion. 

Motion Searight.  Second Shindeldecker.   Stephenson called for the question.  Searight = y, Shindeldecker = y, Stephenson = y, M Heitkamp = y, Beougher =  y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Committee Reports:

Finance Committee:   Ron Searight – President

Held a finance committee meeting before council meeting.  Discussed putting up some property for sale – new home building within 18 months.   These funds will be reinvested into the subdivision development.  Discussed some backhoe issues and the need to start looking for replacement.  Meeting was over at 7 pm.

Motion Stephenson.  Second M Heitkamp to pay the bills as presented $33,861.66

Heitkamp  called for the question.   Stephenson = y, M Heitkamp = y, Heitkamp = y, Searight = y,  Beougher = y, Shindeldecker = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Motion Stephenson to approve the monthly financial reports.  Second Heitkamp.  M Heitkamp called for the question.   Stephenson = y, Heitkamp = y, M Heitkamp = y, Searight = y, Beougher = y, Shindeldecker = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Cash Summary by Fund, Appropriations report, Revenue Report,

Budget vs Actual activity report, Bank statement, comparison report for the water, sewer, and income tax.

Motion Beougher to approve supplemental appropriations to date.  Second Shindeldecker. Stephenson called for the question.  Beougher = y, Shindeldecker = y, Stephenson = y, M Heitkamp = y, Searight = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Motion Stephenson to approve additional purchase orders.  Second M Heitkamp.  Shindeldecker called for the question.   Stephenson = y, M Heitkamp = y, Shindeldecker = y, Searight = y, Beougher = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Quarterly transfer to Franklin St. Fund  — 3rd quarter – September 5th meeting.   We will review finances and make decision.

Rules Committee:    Marcas Heitkamp

At times the Rockford Police Department is hired for security at special events.  Council setting the rate to be invoiced at $46 per hour.   The officers working Special Duty – will receive $35 per hour.     This will be set up through payroll and will be set up on different line items to track.

Motion Shindeldecker.  Second Stephenson.  Searight called for the question.  Shindeldecker = y, Stephenson = y, Searight = y, M Heitkamp = y, Beougher = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Updates to guide book and pay schedule to follow.  Chief Stetler will update the general orders – this will need approval from both Mayor and Chief.   * Special events only.  

Service Committee:   Mary Beougher –

So nice to see families enjoying the pond at the park.

Franklin Street improvements – the street will be widened about a foot on each side and although somewhat wider – we are planning a no street parking on Franklin St.    This street is probably the 2nd highest traffic area in town and we want to keep traffic flowing smoothly.   Project completion will be approx.. July 2025 so we have time to inform residents of the project plans. 

Marcas asked about costs to complete the street – Franklin to Buckeye Street.  We will update the bid, but at last estimate it would cost $500,000 to develop.  Cost estimate will be updated.   This would be total out of pocket expenses paid for by Rockford tax payers and benefit them the least.   One of the main reasons council didn’t proceed with that part of the project – extremely costly and grants do not cover the additional expenses.

Safety Committee:     Chris Heitkamp

Economic Development Committee:  Rick Shindeldecker

Public Utilities Committee:   Luke Stephenson

The WRKD board would like to give a shout out to Todd Henkle who recently resigned from the station’s Board of Directors.     He’s been a huge part of the station’s success.   Thank you Todd,  for your vision and support from the very beginning.    

Old Business:

Park entrance —  checked out.   The solution might be to make the parking area a bit bigger so that people are not parking so close to the entrance.  Would cost roughly $10,000 to make the updates.

Mary reported that Vantage will be taking on the maintenance of the park gazebo and bridge.   Once school starts this will be one of their first projects ! 

Awesome !  Greatly appreciated.

New Business:

Mayor Joseph announced to council that she will not be running for Mayor in November.   It was a very tough decision but would like to concentrate on growing her business and spending more time with family.     Council thanked her for her service and will enjoy working with her until the end of the year.

Meeting adjourned    7:59    pm 

_________________________                      _________________________

Mayor                                                              Fiscal officer