Meeting Minutes: February 6, 2024

Created with Sketch.

Meeting Minutes: February 6, 2024

Council called to order by Mayor Ron Searight on February 6, 2024 at 7:30 pm.

Invocation –    Ron Searight

Pledge of Allegiance

Those present:   Marcas Heitkamp, Mark Heitkamp, Luke Stephenson,

Mary Beougher, Shane Young,  Chris Heitkamp.       

Also attending:   Ross Finke, Francis Schaffner, Robbie Peel,

Chief Stetler, Michael Frank of the Daily Standard, and David Penno – candidate for Mercer County Commissioner.

Motion Mary.  Second Marcas to accept the agenda with correction as orders of the day.   Luke called for the question.  Mary = y, Marcas = y, Luke = y, Mark = y, Shane = y, Chris = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Motion Mary.  Second Chris  to accept the minutes from the January 16, 2024 council meeting as presented.  Mark called for the question.  Mary = y, Chris = y, Mark = y, Marcus = y, Luke = y, Shane = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Mayor’s Report and Correspondence: 

Ohio Municipal League — newly elected officials training – March 2nd – encourage council to attend if possible.  Very informational meeting.

Feedback from residents — nice job on the alleys and a report of easy booking for the community building.

Met with 5 residents, 1 business owner and held 2 staff meetings.

Reminder – Monday office hours from 3 – 5 pm.  Usually here every day for a couple of hours.  Please feel free to stop in or call for an appointment.

Upcoming Community information & events:

Rockford United Methodist Church – Drive-thru Community Meals – every Wednesday (when school in session)  4:30 – 6 pm

March 2 – St. Teresa Family Fun Night –Community Building

March 19 – Primary Election – Rockford Community Building

March 26,27,28 – office closed – continuing education

March 30th – Shanes Park Easter Egg Hunt — 1 pm – volunteers and donations needed – please contact Amy Joseph.

April 6 – Lions Club Quarter Auction – Community Building

Village Administrator’s Report – Aaron Temple  

Signed final paperwork for the new water tower.  Will begin on site restoration that is the Village responsibility.

There is a training in Ft. Recovery on Friday about GSI Units — may try to attend.   Not exactly the same units we have but all information is beneficial.

Rural Water associates are willing to help us with the process to get the job done quicker.    Waiting on program updates for our GSI units.

The lagoon cover – have spoken to several references from Minnesota, Montana, and Wyoming.  No issues – good reports.  Hoping to move forward with a finance committee meeting.

Franklin St — Received prints from engineering firm.   Possibly to add several more parking areas on the northside of the softball diamond.  Waiting to get confirmation of approval from Parkway – would be total of 43 spots.   Parkway will discuss at their next board meeting.  Also looking at making 1 additional change –  at resurfacing First St —- the street has problems from previous water leaks.

Log Cabin –  needs some major work to preserve.  Meeting tomorrow morning to review the quotes.   Will be costly.

To Mark Heitkamp – last meeting question regarding the bathroom stalls at the Community Building — Yes — they definitely need work.  Will look at getting blasted and repainted this summer.

Mayor Searight —  Need a name on the street where the new parking will be.

Committee Reports:

Finance Committee:  Shane Young

Held a finance meeting on January 17th – discussed 2nd shift patrol position, discussed employee benefits – Health savings account / accrual of vacation time, sewer lagoon cover and a backhoe purchase.

Motion Luke to pay the bills as presented   $ 29,167.92 and bills from 01/29/2024 of $129,650.07.  Second Marcas.   Mary called for the question.   Luke = y, Marcas = y, Mary = y, Mark = y, Shane = y, Chris = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Motion Marcas to approve the monthly financial reports.  Second Mark.  Luke called for the question.  Marcas = y, Mark = y, Luke = y, Mary = y, Shane = y, Chris = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Cash Summary by Fund, Appropriations report, Revenue Report,

Budget vs Actual activity report, Bank statement, comparison report for the water, sewer, and income tax.

Motion Marcas to approve additional blanket certificates.  Second Chris, Mark called for the question.   Marcas = y, Chris = y, Mark = y, Luke =y, Mary = y, Shane = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Motion Marcas.  Second Luke to transfer $25,000 from General fund to Franklin St Fund for project expenses.  Mark called for the question.   Marcas = y, Luke = y, Mark = y, Mary = y, Shane = y, Chris = y.   Passed 6 yes.

Fremont Enterprise Zone Meeting – February 28th at 11 am.

Finance committee meeting scheduled for Tuesday – February 13th at 3:30 pm

Rules Committee:    Mark Heitkamp

Service Committee:   Mary Beougher –

Held a service committee meeting – with the park manager on January 18th at 6:30 pm — Discussed park needs and a memorial for Joyce Emans.  Will be looking at location in the spring.  Motion Marcas.  Second Chris to order a garden statue for the memorial.  Mark called for the question.   Marcas = y, Chris = y, Mark = y, Luke = y, Shane = y, Mary = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Safety Committee:     Chris Heitkamp

Meeting held before council discussed goals for the committee.

Economic Development Committee:  Marcas Heitkamp

RADC –January 22, 2024 meeting was cancelled.  The next meeting will be held on Monday – February 26th at 7 pm.   Rockford Library.

Committee members reminded to turn in goals so we can all be on the same page.

Public Utilities Committee:   Luke Stephenson

Old Business:            

Visitors to Address Council:  

David Penno — Candidate for Mercer County Commissioner.  Running for the seat of  retiring Jerry Laffin.  Has been in public service – currently Coldwater Fire Chief.  18 years with Fire department and 10 years with EMS.    Main goal is to help communities increase their volunteers.  Perhaps even going with paid volunteers – will be looking at all options.  Want to get a 10 year plan in place.  This would need to be approved by the voters on a levy.    Celina currently is helping with runs to Rockford.  Local resources are strained and want to be involved in helping the situation for the betterment of the community. 

We need volunteers —- Fire and EMS.

Thank you, David,  for introduction and coming to our meeting.

New Business:

Motion Marcas to go into Executive Session for Personnel.  Second Mary.  Shane called for the question.   Marcas = y, Mary = y, Shane = y, Mark = y, Luke = y, Chris = y.  Passed 6 yes.  Time – 8 pm

Motion Marcas to come out of  Exeutive Session,  Second Mark.  Luke called for the question.  Marcas = y, Mark = y, Luke = y, Mary = y, Shane = y, Chris = y.  Passed 6 yes.   Time – 8:39 pm

No action taken.

A local family has contacted us regarding an indigent burial in amount of approximately $1,000.   Need to review financial information to see if actually “ indigent” status applies.  Will be making some inquiries.    Discussed this process and why the Village is involved.

Meeting adjourned  8:53  pm 

_________________________                      _________________________

Mayor                                                              Fiscal officer