Meeting Minutes: May 19, 2009

Created with Sketch.

Meeting Minutes: May 19, 2009


Council called to order by Mayor Amy Joseph on
Tuesday, May 19th, 2009 at 7:30 pm at the Rockford Village Hall.

Invocation was given by Gene Steiner Pledge of Allegiance

Those present: Gehle, Steiner, McKee, Pontsler, Searight, Rutledge – absent
Also attending: Judy Koesters, Jeff Long, Sergeant Stetler

Motion Steiner. Second McKee to accept Agenda as Orders of the Day. Gehle called for the question. Steiner = y, McKee = y, Gehle = y, Pontsler = y, Searight = y. Passed 5 yes.

Motion: Searight. Second Pontsler to accept the minutes from the
May 5th, 2009 as submitted by the Fiscal Officer. Gehle called for the question. Searight = y, Pontsler = y, Gehle = y, Steiner = y, McKee = y. Passed 5 yes.

Visitors to Address Council:

Mayor’s Report and Correspondence:

Hope to see everyone at the Memorial Day Parade and Ceremony
on Monday in support of the Community. (Parade starts at 11:00 am)

Village Administrator’s Report – Jeff Long

  1. Water Treatment Plant – will be meeting with Brice of Fanning/Howey on Thursday for final addendum for Water Treatment Plant Bid. The bids are scheduled to be opened on June 2nd, 2009.
  2. South Main Street Reconstruction Project –

    a. Need motion to approve pay application #3 for Tom’s Construction. The invoice amount if $121,494.13, which will be paid entirely by OPWC.

    1. Curbs are scheduled for May 26, 27, and 28th.
    2. Base coat asphalt is scheduled for June 2nd.
    3. Shinn Brothers will then start immediately with completion scheduled before July 4th.
  1. Wastewater Treatment Plant Upgrade – will meet with Fanning/Howey this week to get started on plant needs.
  2. Planning started on West Market and possibly Franklin Street reconstruction. We will apply to OPWC for possible funding.
  3. Main Street trees have been mulched and flags up for the Memorial Day Parade as we do each year.
  4. Front Street
    a. Sixth and final pay application to Tumbusch Construction for $6,500 b. Benanzer has completed the over-seeding that needed done. The $6,500 was the money that was held back to ensure this.

Committee Reports:

Finance Committee: Todd McKee

Motion Steiner , Second Pontsler to pay bills in the amount of $18,883.83 as submitted by the Fiscal Officer. Gehle called for the question. Steiner = y, Pontsler = y, Gehle = y, McKee = y, Searight = y. Passed 5 yes.

Thanks to Mahargs for helping us on Clean Up Day. They did a great job!

Thank you for passing the renewal levy. We had almost 75% approval rating. Again, we thank you for your support.

Mercer County Health Department sent letter of our costs for next years budget of $4276.53. Rates are according to the ORC.

Service Committee: Steve Gehle

We had a good turn out for Clean Up Day. 2 full truck loads of good clothing was donated to charities. If we decide to do this again next year the hours will be changed to 7 am – 11 am.

Motion Gehle to approve Community Days Events. Second Pontsler. Searight called for the question. Gehle = y, Pontsler = y, Searight = y, Steiner = y, McKee = y, Passed 5 yes.

Safety Committee: Kathy Rutledge – absent

Report on Safety Meeting on May 12th. Continued with meeting although Kathy was unable to attend. The Committee recommends putting a 4 way stop at Race and Front and additional signs for minimum speed limit and park entrance.
Cost of signs approximately $50.

Motion Steiner to approve Safety Committee recommendations regarding signs. Second Gehle. McKee called for the question. Steiner = y, Gehle = y,
McKee = y, Pontsler = n, Searight = y. Passed 4 yes.

Additional recommendation was stop signs at alley behind the former United Methodist parking lot.

Motion McKee. Second Steiner. Pontsler called for the question to approve additional recommendation. McKee = y, Steiner = y, Pontsler = y, Gehle = y, Searight = y. Passed 5 yes.

Need to borrow speed radar from Celina to set at the park several evenings during ballgames.

Economic Development Committee: Eugene Steiner

Meeting was held on May 14th with the RADC Business Attraction and Retention Committee. Discussed looking at other business that would complement existing businesses. Will follow up with existing businesses to see if they could or would be interested in expanding and growing current business.

Marketing Committee Meeting will be held on May 21st and report to the RADC.

Public Utilities Committee: Greg Pontsler

Report on meeting with Jim Fox on May 13th . Discussed needs and plan to improve Wastewater Treatment Plant. Stimulus funding for wastewater was not received although we did receive stimulus money for water plant giving us some financial capability.

Dr. Fox stated that Fremont is exceeding the discharge limits established by the OEPA but they are not taking enforcement action as long as we make progress towards a solution. Fremont will be performing a study to see if they can reduce the discharge further expecting a 10% decrease at best. Fremont looking at possibility of additional positions. Long range plans are to add another line.

They need to know we can take care of their waste. Feel best option is to improve the Village Treatment system as to building their own pretreatment plant as OEPA requirements will most likely make the village do sometime in the near future.

Fanning/Howey will do a study of best practice to meet our needs.

Rules Committee: Ron Searight


  • 1st reading 04/21/09
  • 2nd reading 05/05/09
  • 3rd reading 05/19/09

Motion: Gehle. Second McKee. Steiner called for the question. Gehle = y, McKee = y, Steiner = y, Pontsler = y, Searight = y. Passed 5 yes.

Report on Rules meeting held on May 13th:
Mayor Joseph presented a cell phone policy for review. Everyone was in agreement that is was a good and needed policy.

Motion: McKee. Second Gehle to approve the Cell Phone Policy. Pontsler called for the question. McKee = y, Gehle = y, Pontsler =y, Steiner = y, Searight = y. Passed 5 yes.

Old Business

Trailer Court is starting to see improvement with water lines, wiring, and paving. Positive progress ~ good news.

New Business:

Resident Jerry Sill had several questions:

1. The water lines that froze up last winter – what is being done so it doesn’t happen again? We will be insulating the catch basins before winter.

2. In an emergency – evenings or weekends- where do we call to get in touch with someone? You can call the Village office (419-363-3032) and press the extension for Village Administrator or Utilities to get cell phone number.

Other business:

We are a government office – Why don’t we have a flag out front? Will look into getting it donated.


Meeting adjourned 8:10 pm.