Meeting Minutes: April 18, 2023

Created with Sketch.

Meeting Minutes: April 18, 2023

Council called to order by Mayor – Amy Joseph on April 18, 2023

at 7:30 pm.

Invocation –    Ron Searight

Pledge of Allegiance

Those present:   Marcas Heitkamp, Ron Searight, Luke Stephenson,

Rick Shindeldecker, Mary Beougher, Chris Heitkamp.   

Also attending:   Ross Finke, Robbie Peel, Marge Gehle, Srgt Stetler,

Francis Schaffner, Chief May, Susie & Don Miller, Tyler and Mattea Croft and Erin Gardner of the Daily Standard.

Motion Searight.  Second Stephenson to accept the agenda as orders of the day

M Heitkamp called for the question.  Searight = y, Stephenson = y, M Heitkamp = y, Beougher = y, Shindeldecker = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Motion Searight.  Second Stephenson to accept the minutes from the April 4, 2023 council meeting as presented.        M Heitkamp called for the question.  Searight =- y, Stephenson = y, M Heitkamp = y, Beougher = y, Shindeldecker = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Visitors to Address Council:

* Note deadline for council agenda the Friday before council at 4 pm.  *

                        ***  time limit 5 minutes  ***

Mayor’s Report and Correspondence: 

Mayor noted receipt and review of Mayors Court pay in and bank statement.

Thanks – BIG turnout for the Rockford Fire Department Pancake and Sausage – estimated 900 people served.

Thanks  – Volunteers that helped with the  Easter Egg Hunt — very nice day / lots of children

Thanks to Rockford Community for supporting A Hole Lot Of Resilience Fundraiser.   Thanks also to those volunteers who made this happen.  A tragedy for sure but seeing the community come together in support is great to see.

Community Announcements and events:

Lions Club Quarter Auction – April 22nd – Rockford Community Building


Accepting Groups / organizations to participate in 2023 Community Days –

June 16 & 17.   Contact Amy Joseph at 419-953-7874 or

Crystol Rasbach – 702-480-9146

**Proceeds to new shelter house at Shanes Park Pond.**

Village Administrator’s Report – Aaron Temple  –

We are replacing another high service pump – should be finished early next week.

Chemicals for the water plant have doubled in the last 18 months.  Have been getting quotes from other suppliers but our current pricing is coming in at the best deal.

Water Tower time line — original completion date was October 15, 2023 – we have not seen any movement on the project.  The completion date has been moved back to November 22nd.   There is a $500 per day fee for each day the project is not completed and we plan to collect.  This is no fault to the village for the project being delayed.

We will continue to deodorize the wastewater plant until a decision is made for the floating cover.   Still gathering information.

The Community Improvement survey will be mailed tomorrow — can’t stress enough we need residents to fill out and return the survey to qualify for the $700,000 GRANT.

Have contacted Parkway about possible improvements with the Franklin St project and have not heard back from anyone.

Residents — reminder to maintain your lawns.   We don’t have time to be mowing other properties, but we will if we have to at a cost to the home owner of $250 per hour.

Have started grading alleys and will be completed in the next week or two.

Committee Reports

Finance Committee:   Ron Searight – President

Motion Stephenson.  Second Shindeldecker to pay the bills as presented – $21,211.36  Heitkamp called for the question.  Stephenson = y, Shindeldecker = y, Heitkamp = y, M Heitkamp,= y Searight = y, Beougher = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Motion Stephenson to accept the Mayors Court pay in of: $327.  Second Beougher.  M Heitkamp called for the question.   Stephenson = y, Beougher = y, M Heitkamp = y, Searight = y, Shindeldecker = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Finance Committee meeting held on 04/10/2023 – discussed the following:

Subdivision – project on hold – estimates came in very high.  We need to focus on the projects we have going on at the moment.   

Motion Stephenson.  Second Shindeldecker to start quarterly transfers of funds to the Franklin St. fund to start saving for these expenses – Village match $240,000 –General/ SCMR/Permissive to Franklin Street Fund.    Heitkamp called for the question.   Stephenson = y, Shindeldecker = y, Heitkamp = y, M Heitkamp = y, Searight = y, Beougher = y,  Passed 6 yes. 

Amount to be discussed at the next finance meeting.




Motion:   Shindeldecker.   Second Stephenson.  Heitkamp called for the question.  Shindeldecker = y, Stephenson = y, Heitkamp = y, M Heitkamp = y, Searight = y, Beougher = y.  Passed 6 yes.

State Auditor called regarding upcoming audit — does council want a pre-audit meeting?  Council agreed to waive the pre audit.  Pre-audit questions will be emailed. 

Service Committee:   Mary Beougher –

In order to qualify for the Community Development Block GRANT – Neighborhood Revitalization Program in the amount of  $700,000 for the Franklin Street project, we  (residents of the community) need to do some work to qualify.

April 18th – Public Meeting #1 –  held this evening before council. 

Brice (Access Engineering) was here for the meeting to discuss what are some potential  ideas and explain the survey.

April 19th – Survey will go out in the mail – residents will have 2 weeks to get the information back to us – drop off, return mail, email —  however they are comfortable in getting us the information.  Deadline – May 3rd, 2023.

May 16th – Public Meeting #2 – begins at 7 pm

Brice will return and give us survey results and answer any questions. 

Belna did a very good job cleaning up the fire debris.  Now the rest needs cleaned up.

Mary willing to make a public service announcement to encourage the residents to fill out surveys and attend the next public meeting.   We need participation!

Safety Committee:     Chris Heitkamp

Economic Development Committee:  Rick Shindeldecker

The RADC Committee will be holding a community economic development meeting on April 25th at 7 pm – at Shane Hall.   Included in the meeting will be Mercer County Economic Development, Representation from the Commissioners office, Council and local businesses.    This is open to the public – all are welcome to bring ideas.

Public Utilities Committee:   Luke Stephenson –   

Rules Committee:    Marcas Heitkamp

The American Legion does not want to keep the veterans banners that have been taken down.    Need ideas on how to handle – as some of the banners have been purchased by different families.   How to decide who gets the banner?

Old Business:

2023 is an Election Year —   Mayor and 2 council seats.    If interested pick up petitions at the Board of Election with information on how to file to be on the ballot in November.     Deadline  –  August 9th at 4 pm.

Beougher — have not heard back from Vantage on the Gazebo project.  Ross will get information on a boy scout troop that might be interested in helping with the project.

Still have job opening for someone to clean the park restrooms this summer.  Contact village office if interested.

New Business:

Motion Searight.  Second Shindeldecker to go into Executive Session – Sale of Property.  Beougher called for the question.  Searight = y, Shindeldecker = y, Beougher = y, M Heitkamp = y, Stephenson = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.  – Time 7:53 pm

Motion M Heitkamp to come out of Executive Session.  Second Stephenson.  Searight called for the question.   M Heitkamp = y,  Stephenson = y, Searight = y, Beougher = y, Shindeldecker = y, Heitamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.   Time – 8:19 pm

Motion M Heitkamp.  Second Searight to approve the sale of the storage barn next to the village office.  Shindeldecker called for the question.  M Heitkamp = y, Searight = y, Shindeldecker = y, Stephenson = y, Beougher = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Action taken:  Selling the storage barn to Jason Rollins for $45,000.    Ross will handle the needed paperwork. 

Back to old business — need to advertise police department positions. 

               Meeting adjourned 8:26  pm 

_________________________                      _________________________

Mayor                                                              Fiscal officer