Meeting Minutes: August 16, 2022

Created with Sketch.

Meeting Minutes: August 16, 2022

Council called to order by Mayor Amy Joseph, Tuesday, August 16, 2022

at 7:30 pm.

Invocation –    Ron Searight

Pledge of Allegiance

Those present:  Jessica Yoder, Ron Searight, Luke Stephenson, Mary Beougher, and Chris Heitkamp

Also attending:   Srgt Stetler, Robbie Peel, Sandy Schaffner, Marge Gehle, Chief May, Tom Beahrs and Erin G of the Daily Standard.

Motion  Searight  Second Stephenson to accept the agenda as orders of the day.   

Beougher called for the question.  Searight = y, Stephenson = y, Beougher = y, Yoder = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 5 yes.

Motion Stephenson.  Second Searight  to accept the minutes from the August 2, 2022 council meeting as presented.        Heitkamp called for the question.  Stephenson = y, Searight = y, Heitkamp = y, Yoder = y, Beougher = y.  Passed 5 yes.

Visitors to Address Council:

Mayor’s Report and Correspondence: 

Mayor noted receipt and review of Mayors Court pay in and bank statement.

Brad Now resigned from the Village Council which means we have a seat open to fulfill the rest of Brad’s term of 3 years.   Please send a letter of

interest to the Village office if you are willing to serve our community by next

Tuesday – August 23rd at 4:30 pm.

Community Announcements and events:

August 22nd –   Parkway – Welcome Back to School ~~~  Go Panthers  😊

August 27 – Car Show – Tranquility Nursing Center

                        (Formerly Colonial)  10 am – 3 pm

September 10th – Rockford Fire Department Chicken Dinner / Raffle

September 17 –  Fox Family Ride for Autism           

October 22 – Mercer County Household Hazardous Waste Day & Steel drop off at the Mercer County Fairgrounds – 9 am – 1 pm

October 29 –   Chamber Fall Fest / Trick or Treat / costume judging

Village Administrator’s Report – Aaron Temple  –

Update – Main Street resurface project will start in Mercer on August 22nd – should be in the village just after Labor Day.

Update – Water Tower Bids to be opened on August 23rd at 3 pm instead of 11 am as originally reported.

Pond at the park coming along will need a Rules Committee meeting to begin working on signage / rules for the area.

Ordered the deodorizer for the waste water treatment plant.   Cost of $4200 for a pallet.  Should be here yet this week.

Will be working on the sidewalk project from the Subdivision starting tomorrow.

Grass and Weeds – need to send a couple more letters –  7 days into compliance was last approved —  with additional information about contacting the village.  Letter ready to go.

Questions brought up about horse poop on the streets and at the park –  doing research but not much can be done.  They have a right to use the streets and park.  Wish the owners would be a little more respectful and clean up after visiting.

Committee Reports

Finance Committee:   Ron SearightPresident

Motion Stephenson Second Beougher to pay the bills as presented – $ 40,364.08.

Yoder called for the question.   Stephenson = y, Beougher = y, Yoder = y, Searight = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 5 yes.

Motion Yoder to accept the Mayors Court pay in of $191.  Second Stephenson.  Heitkamp called for the question.   Yoder = y, Stephenson = y, Heitkamp = y, Searight = y, Beougher = y.  Passed 5 yes.

Finance committee meeting was held on Saturday – August 6th –  discussed the following:    Parkway School wanting to partner with the Village Police Department to provide some security at the school.    Eventually could lead into a full time position. 

Committee recommendation –   1st Step – providing 2 hours of on site presence per day at a cost of $46 per hour.     The Village would invoice monthly.  

Discussion / Questions –  need a contract stating as such.   If paperwork is done the services would start on the first day of school.   We have already been providing these services and would now be getting paid for the services by the school district. 

Motion Yoder to approve Rockford Police providing 2 hours security duty at the above rates at Parkway High School with intent of signed contact before services will begin.   Second Stephenson.  Beougher called for the question.   Yoder = y, Stephenson = y, Beougher = y, Searight = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 5 yes.

Additional Finance committee meeting was held on Saturday – August 13th to discuss the possibility of adding an additional officer and how the schedules would work providing full time security at Parkway High School and still maintain full coverage of the village.  

Much discussion — is there a need?  Yes – both Parkway and Council see a need.  Who is paying for the services — Parkway has agreed to pay for services and needed expenses to set up police department office at the school.   We would need to see a contract and the full time security rate would be increased.  We would need to set a pay rate for the new position and job duties.     Had some discussion about what other schools are doing but ultimately we need to do what is best for our community and school district. 

Service Committee:   Mary Beougher

Concerns of additional living arrangements in a trailer on a property?   Is not allowed and will be looking into the situation.

Safety Committee:     Chris Heitkamp –

Concerns of some trees on Pearl St. – limbs over street and sidewalk.  Trees are in the village tree lawn.  

Questions on building a shed in a back yard – need permission and built permit.

Need to make sure there are no underground utilities in the area.

Economic Development Committee:  by Ron Searight

Shanes Crossing Subdivision – 5 Lots left for sale – contact Tammy Cheek with Homes at Ohio’s Edge Realty.        We have 3 homes going up at this time – 2 in the subdivision and other along Market St.     

Business Park updates –  

Public Utilities Committee:   Luke Stephenson –   

WRKD updates –  Station will be supporting the Chamber Main Street Committee with a donation of $800 and a loan of $800 to get cups ordered for the DORA.   We should be able to have our first outdoor refreshment event during Fall Fest in October.    Showed photo of the approved logo that will be on the cups.

Rules Committee:    Jessica Yoder –

Parking Ordinance —-will be meeting with Judy at 7 pm on September 6th to review ordinance and make some clarifications. 

Additional property maintenance information on letter ?    Communications with Village if unable to meet compliance deadline.  Yes all agreed to add the information.

Old Business:

Residents hiring contractors to work in the village — ALL Contractors need to be registered with the Village Office to begin working. 

New Business:

Motion Yoder.  Second Heitkamp to go into Executive Session to discuss personnel.  Stephenson called for the question.  Yoder = y, Heitkamp = y, Stephenson = y, Searight = y, Beougher = y.  Passed 5 yes.    Time – 8:16 pm

Motion Searight.  Second Stephenson to come out of Executive Session.  Yoder called for the question.  Searight = y, Stephenson = y, Yoder = y, Beougher = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 5 yes.   Time 9:08 pm

Action taken –  Pending a favorable security contract with Parkway Local School we will post a 2nd shift full time patrol position working Monday through Friday. 

Motion Stephenson.  Second Searight.  Yoder called for the question.  Stephenson = y, Searight = y, Yoder = y, Beougher = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 5 yes.

Meeting adjourned 9:09 pm 

_________________________                      _________________________

Mayor                                                              Fiscal officer