Meeting Minutes: August 18, 2020

Created with Sketch.

Meeting Minutes: August 18, 2020


Council called to order by Mayor Amy Joseph, Tuesday, August 18, 2020,

at 7:30 pm.

Invocation –   The Lord’s Prayer

Pledge of Allegiance

Those present:  Yoder, Young, Stephenson, Pontsler

                         Now and Heitkamp absent

Facebook live started

Also attending:  Srgt Stetler, Robbie Peel, Loren Shindeldecker, and

Sydney Albert of the Daily Standard

Motion Young.  Second Pontsler  to accept the agenda as orders of the day. Stephenson called for the question.   Young = y, Pontsler = y, Stephenson = y, Yoder = y.  Passed 4 yes.

Motion Pontsler. Second Stephenson to accept the minutes from the August 4, 2020 council meeting as presented.  Yoder called for the question.   Pontsler = y, Stephenson = y, Yoder = y, Young = y.  Passed 4 yes.

Visitors to Address Council:

Mayor’s Report and Correspondence: 

Mondays at 7:30 pm –

The Mayors Corner Radio Show — Rockford news and updates

Upcoming guests – Barb Pedroza talking about the Barn Quilt Bus Tour

Mayor noted the receipt and review of the Mayors court pay in, bank rec, and bank statement.

Community Announcements and events:

Mercer County Small Business COVID 19 Grant Application – deadline August 21 – 4 pm

Monday – August 24th – Parkway back to school  – Go Panthers !

August 30  – Bicentennial committee – postponed the speaking engagement of Dr. Darrell Groman, who was going to portray ‘Captain James Riley’.

Monday – September 7 – Bicentennial Committee meeting –  7 pm

Tuesday – September 8 – Brush pick up

Rockford Chamber Small Business COVID Grant Application deadline September 15 – 4 pm

Saturday – September 19th – Barn Quilt Bus Tour – ticket information coming soon.   * Limited seating *  

RSVP now $20 to 419-363-3032 ext 1 – Village Office

Monday – October 5th deadline to be registered to Vote in the November election.

Village Administrator’s Report – Aaron Temple

Today was the summer help last day.  Eddie and Jack have done a really good job this summer.   Have discussed the option with Jack about possible working some hours along with his classes to help until end of mowing season.   He will get back with us to see if that will work with his class schedule. 

Next meeting – be looking for information and ordinance regarding the CIC – Community Improvement Corporation of Mercer County.    This allows us to sell public property that is deemed no longer of public use.    There has been an inquiry as to the property known as the Tuway Diamond area.   

Playground —   have made a lot of progress — there is still much to do but the project is coming along very nice.   It’s going to be awesome !

Council received time line on funding for the Water Tower project.    In order to qualify for $600,000 grant – we need to do an income survey.   We know that people don’t usually mail the information back so we are looking at hiring someone to go door to door.     We will inform public of when this will happen.  We have asked Jeff Long to help with this project as people know him so it’s not just a random person going door to door.   This is very important !  The income surveys are sealed and sent to the engineering firm to be sent to the state for review to see what local funds are needed.    This project would take place over the next 3 years.   

Committee Reports

Finance Committee –  Shane Young  

Motion Pontsler.   Second Stephenson – to pay bills as presented in the amount of $9350.92.  Yoder called for the question.   Pontsler = y, Stephenson = y, Yoder = y, Young = y.  Passed 4 yes.

Motion Pontsler to accept the Mayors Court pay in $ 749.   15 tickets written – 1 transferred to Celina.  9 paid.  1 continuance and 2 summons.   Please note — we may write many tickets but sometimes takes years to collect the money.

Second Stephenson.  Yoder called for the question.  Pontsler = y, Stephenson = y, Yoder = y, Young = y.  Passed 4 yes.

We had a finance meeting last week —  We will get more information next meeting since we have 2 council members not present.  One item was discussed and needs attention is a retention pond on Holly Lane.  This area continues to be a problem during heavy rains.   Asked Aaron to get some quotes for this project.

Service Committee:   Greg Pontsler  –

Safety Committee:     Chris Heitkamp –   absent

Economic Development Committee:  Brad Now – absent

Shanes Crossing Subdivision – Lots for sale – 20% discount/ build through – December 2021.    Haven’t not received any updates on the subdivision lately.

Public Utilities Committee:   Luke Stephenson – 

Rules Committee:    Jessica Yoder

Old Business:

New Business:           

Several storm issues at the park – roof on little house has been fixed.  The tree that blew down has been taken care of. 

Young asked –  on behalf of Mr. President Chris Heitkamp  – a question of having a parade.     Council would need to approve the request.   More information is needed – date, time, route, etc.   Please bring information to next meeting.

Meeting adjourned at 7:50  pm

_________________________                      _________________________

Mayor                                                              Fiscal officer.