Meeting Minutes: July 1, 2014
RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS:
Council called to order by Mayor Amy Joseph on
Tuesday, July 1st, 2014 at 7:30 pm at the Rockford Village Hall.
Invocation was given by Gene Steiner
Pledge of Allegiance
Those present: Gehle, Steiner, Fox, Pontsler, Dooley, Heitkamp
Also attending: Jeff Long, Kathy Thompson from the Daily Standard.
Motion Steiner. Second Gehle to accept the agenda as orders of the day. Fox called for the question. Steiner = y, Gehle = y, Fox = y, Pontsler = y, Dooley = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 6 yes.
Motion: Gehle. Second Pontsler to accept the minutes from the
June 17, 2014 council meetings as presented. Dooley called for the question.
Gehle = y, Pontsler = y, Dooley = y, Steiner = y, Fox = y, Heitkamp = y.
Passed 6 yes.
Visitors to Address Council:
Kathy Thompson – introduction. She is the new reporter covering the council meeting for the Daily Standard.
Mayor’s Report and Correspondence:
* Letter From Birdie Long – a visit to Shanes Park during Community Days. Making several suggestions: teens should be more respectful of the park and a suggestion to put in several pieces of playground equipment for little children – age range 2 – 3 years. Copies of letter to be given to council and the park board.
* Letter from Cari Rolsten – Would like to see the Parkway Band getting some recognition on the Rockford Welcome Signs. The Parkway Band has achieved 40 consecutive years of qualifing for the State Band competition. She would like to see their hard work showcased and celebrate the Parkway High School Band – our own “Best Darn Band in the Land.” Copies of letter will be given to the Parkway Music Boosters and the Rockford Chamber.
* Summer Lunch in the Park program on Wednesdays from 11 – noon at Shanes Park
* Another item that has been brought up numerous times are the gates at the water treatment plant. They continue to be open when they are to remain closed. We now have 4-wheelers running around behind the sewer plant. The gates should never be left open. It’s a liability risk.
* 4-wheelers are out of control in the Village. They were being allowed to get from point A to point B. There are kids riding that do not even have a driver’s license. There are more and more dirt bikes also. The rules need to be enforced. It’s getting out of hand. We need to be writing tickets. The several are going to ruin it for those following the laws.
Village Administrator’s Report – Jeff Long
We are working with Access Engineering on a design contract for the Wastewater treatment plant. Limit is $125,000.
Motion Steiner. Second Fox to approve the signage of moving forward with contract with Access Engineering for design purposes. Dooley called for the question. Steiner = y, Fox = y, Dooley = y, Gehle = y, Pontsler = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 6 yes.
Next week Dominion and DP & L will finish getting the gas and electricity out of the North Street property. They will also be working on the West St. property to get ready for demo.
Brush pick up will be next week – July 8th.
We have 1 summer helper working at the park. He is doing a good job.
Finance Committee – Chris Heitkamp
Motion Dooley to pay the bills in the amount of $7677,86. . Second Fox. Gehle called for the question. Dooley = y, Fox = y, Gehle = y, Steiner = y, Pontsler = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 6 yes.
BUDGET INFORMATION REQUIRED BY THE COUNTY AUDITOR FOR CALENDAR YEAR 2015.
1st reading – 06/17/14
2nd reading – 07/01/14
Budget hearing was held on July 1st, 2014 @ 7:15 pm
2015 Annual Budget due to the Auditor’s office by July 18th.
Service Committee: Greg Pontsler
Safety Committee: Gary Fox
A Safety Committee meeting was held at the intersection of Franklin and Walnut. We will be taking several actions at this time. We are moving the stop sign up 10-15’. We will be painting a stop bar and will be putting in a cross walk. This is the 1st step in trying to make the intersection safer. Problem times are before and after school. Maybe increase enforcement at those times.
Economic Development Committee: Gene Steiner
We held a short meeting before council. We are working to review what we want and where we want it for zoning issues. We will meeting again on July 15th at 7 pm. We will be working on developing some resources, talking to current businesses and getting their input on needs. Some of the zoning issues need to be figured out before we move ahead with plans.
Public Utilities Committee: Steve Gehle
AN ORDINANCE LEVYING ASSESSMENTS FOR DELINQUENT WATER BILLS AND DECLARING AND EFFECTIVE DATE.
1st reading – 06/17/14
2nd reading – 07/01/14
Rules Committee: John Dooley
Weeds, trash, rubbish – letters need to go out and followed up on.
The Belle would like 2 moveable handicapped signs for use when they are expecting a big crowd.
Mike Bruns requesting a no parking area. That is up to the business.
Park building – Shane Hall. Has some issues that need addressed. Water and mud running through building. Needs some drainage work. The village workers to take a look at it. John Dooley volunteered to work with park helper to alleviate the problem.
Motion Gehle, Second Dooley to go into executive session regarding personnel and discipline. Pontsler called for the question. Gehle = y, Dooley = y, Pontsler = y, Fox = y, Dooley = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 6 @ 8:12 pm.
Motion Gehle. Second Heitkamp to come out of executive session @ 9:12 pm. Steiner called for the question. Gehle = y, Heitkamp = y, Steiner = y, Fox =y, Pontsler = y, Dooley = y. Passed 6 yes.
Motion Gehle. Second Heitkamp to remove all tomato plants planted at the sewer treatment plant with proof of removal. This is a theft of service. Steiner called for the question. Gehle = y, Heitkamp = y, Steiner = y, Fox = y, Pontsler = y, Dooley = y. Passed 6 yes.
Motion Fox. Second Gehle to have daily work logs be filled out by each employee and turned in daily for review. Pontsler called for the question. Fox = y, Gehle = y, Pontsler = y, Steiner = y, Dooley = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 6 yes.
Meeting adjourned 9:20 pm
Mayor Fiscal Officer