Meeting Minutes: September 15, 2015

Created with Sketch.

Meeting Minutes: September 15, 2015

                        RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS:


Council called to order by Mayor Amy Joseph on

Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 7:30 pm at the Rockford Village Hall.


Invocation was given by Jeff Long


Pledge of Allegiance


Those present: Gehle, Rutledge, Pontsler, Dooley, Heitkamp

Fox – absent

Also attending: Stg. Stetler, Fred Vann


Motion Rutledge Second Gehle to accept the agenda as orders of the day. Dooley called for the question. Rutledge = y, Gehle = y, Dooley = y, Pontsler = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 5 yes.


Motion Gehle. Second Pontsler to accept the minutes from the

September 1, 2015 council meetings as presented. Dooley called for the question.

Gehle = y, Pontsler = y, Dooley = y, Rutledge = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 5 yes.



Visitors to Address Council:


Jim Crocker – WRKD was on the agenda but unable to attend. Council asked what if any information was available regarding his request to be on the agenda. The breaker box for the radio station needs to be increased in size. The station has run out of room and would like to use part of the storage area for production. Council has referred the request to Jeff to make suggestions and approve. The storage area/station expansion is ok but need to make sure records are secure.

Jim also wanted to report some numbers of listeners – followers on Facebook and TuneIn Radio. Lisa will work to get that information to council.



Mayor’s Report and Correspondence:


Thank you to the Rockford Fire Department for installing the new community electronic sign. Looks very nice, professional and will be an asset for the community.



Upcoming events:


Kick IT – October – Fall Fest @ Shanes Park


Beginning October 24th and consecutive Saturdays @ 9 am – consider volunteering at Shanes Park to help decorate for Christmas at the Park.

Need LOTS of volunteers !


Rockford Chamber Banquet – October 26th – 6 pm

* Rockford Community Building


Trick or Treat – October 31st from 6 – 7:30 pm. Judging at the Fire Station at 8 pm


Christmas at the Park – November 29th – 7 pm     * Shanes Park



Village Administrator’s Report – Jeff Long


  1. Columbia Street – The CDBG Critical Infrastructure grant has been awarded to the project for $250,000. We have been awarded the CDBG Formula allocation grant of $80,000. This fall we will apply for OPWC District allocation grant of $250,000 and 0% interest loan for approximately $100,000 to be repair by curb/sidewalk assessments. If approved for OPWC, design will happen this winter with a project bid date of June 2016 and construction following.


  1. Park Improvements – We are working on the projects to be funded by the State Capital Improvement Grant of $100,000. This includes lighting, a parking lot, walkway, partial funding of new building.       The Rec Board plans are diamond improvements, new diamond #5, and a storage building. To complete the new Shane Hall, we will need to raise $20-$30,000. As of this time, there is about $6,000 and people working on new donations.       We will go as far as the money goes.


  1. The WWTP Improvements are on the way. At this time we are waiting on the permit to install from the EPA, then we will apply for CDBG Water/Sewer funding grant along with 0% loan money. It is still the plan to do these improvements without a rate increase.


  1. We have removed the old pavement on Hickory Street (Fremont Plant Entrance) and put down new pavement. This was much needed to improve the entrance to Fremont.


  1. Electrical/Gas Aggregation for opt out will be on the ballot for our residents to vote on. We need to schedule a public meeting on October 20th at 7 pm before the council meeting. This meeting will be used to inform the public about the aggregation vote. The basis of aggregations is that by combining the buying power it will lead to lower rates.


  1. Health Insurance rates came in at an increase of 9.1%. We are trying to get a lower rate but 9.1% is worst case. We have not seen an increase for two previous years.


  1. As leaf season approaches, we are looking at a leaf collection system to use at the park. Cost $3200 installed. Council was in agreement to go ahead with that purchase.



Committee Reports


Finance Committee – Gary Fox- absent


Motion Rutledge. Second Pontsler to pay the bills in the amount of $14,053.16 Gehle called for the question. Rutledge = y , Pontsler = y, Gehle = y, Dooley, Heitkamp = y. Passed 5 yes.


House Bill 5 will be affecting how municipal income tax will be administered and collected beginning 01/01/16.   We need to know the changes that are being mandated or we can lose our ability to levy an income tax.   Jeff and Lisa will be attending a seminar on September 22 to learn about the upcoming changes. The seminar will be held in Lima and is a free service.



Service Committee:   Greg Pontsler


Rec Board – Soccer Sundays and Flag Football Mondays.







1ST reading – 08/04/15

2nd reading – 09/01/15

3rd reading – 09/15/15


Motion Pontsler, Second Gehle, Dooley called for the question. Pontsler = y, Gehle = y, Dooley = y, Rutledge = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 5 yes.



Safety Committee:     Chris Heitkamp


Nothing at this time.


Economic Development Committee: Rob Rutledge


Nothing at this time.



Public Utilities Committee:   Steve Gehle


Nothing at this time.


Rules Committee:      John Dooley


Nothing at this time.



Old Business


Light / Sign on South Main Street ? We have submitted the bill of $5,200. We need to report to the state the crosswalk sign to be installed.



New Business


Village to mow Pearl St properties – 2 are looking bad and we have no ownership information.


Sgt. Stetler reported that his cruiser is 8 years old. We either need to spend money tuning /fixing up or look into a new vehicle. The following needs work:

Front end, fan, electrical issues, tires and paint. Need estimate but will come in at approx. $3,000. New cruisier SUV – will cost $24,000 + $5,000 police package.

Council requested that facts and figures be submitted to the finance committee as we are going into budget time for next year.



Meeting adjourned 8:25




____________________________                _____________________________

Mayor                                                              Fiscal Officer