Meeting Minutes: April 16, 2013

Created with Sketch.

Meeting Minutes: April 16, 2013


Council called to order by Mayor Amy Joseph on
Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 7:30 pm at the Rockford Village Hall.

Invocation was given.

Pledge of Allegiance

Those present: Gehle, Steiner, Blossom, Pontsler, Searight, Heitkamp

Also attending:  Chief May and Amy K. – Daily Standard.

Motion  Steiner   Second Pontsler to accept the agenda as orders of the day.
Gehle called for the question.  Steiner = y, Pontsler = y, Gehle = y, Blossom = y, Searight = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Motion: Searight.  Second Blossom to accept the minutes from the
April 2, 2013  council meetings as presented.  Heitkamp called for the question.
Searight – y, Blossom = y, Heitkamp = y, Gehle = y, Steiner = y, Pontsler = y.  Passed 6 yes.


Visitors to Address Council:

Mayor’s Report and Correspondence:


Village Administrator’s Report – Jeff Long

UV Disinfection System is being installed,  Monday it should be completed and Tuesday we will have training and be online.  Requirement was May 1st for completion date so we are meeting the deadline.

Pearl Street paving should begin in May.  Catch basins have been installed.  There is more pre work to be done before paving and that should be done hopefully yet this week.

Started some alley work and that will continue.

We have planted grass at the park.  Should look nice for Community Days.  Mowing season will begin soon.

We only worked 10 hour days the 1 week and that was enough to get us
somewhat caught up.

Signed the final platt paperwork for the Dollar General.  They are awarding the contractors bids.

There are some new grants coming out that might help us get Columbia Street done in the next year.  We will be reviewing the grants to see what is available.


Committee Reports:

Finance Committee – Ron Searight

Motion Pontsler to pay the bills in the amount of $15,288.24  –  Second Blossom.
Bills included are normal operating expenses, audit fees and electricity.  Steiner called for the question.  Pontsler = y, Blossom = y, Steiner = y, Gehle = y, Searight = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 6 yes.

Finance Meeting scheduled for April 24th at 7 pm.   Jeff, Paul and Lisa are requested to be in attendance.


Service Committee:            Greg Pontsler

Nothing at this time.


Safety Committee:            Chris Heitkamp

Park is looking nice.  Other than that nothing at this time.


Economic Development Committee:   Eugene Steiner

Things are moving along with Dollar General.  Have heard it will take about 3 months to complete.


Public Utilities Committee:            Steve Gehle

Time Warner rates continue to go up.  With deregulations they don’t have to contact us regarding rates.  There are some other choices that maybe less expensive.

Rules Committee:            Peggy Blossom

A Committee meeting was held on April 10th at 7 pm.   Discussed was the unsafe building ordinance.  Peggy has suggested writing a form letter and attaching the ordinance and mailing it to owners of properties that need either work or cleaned up.  The land owner is ultimately responsible for the condition of the property.  The land owner will get the letter and ordinance and they are to take it to the renters and get the problem solved.

Gehle states that we should not wait for another meeting to go ahead with this plan.  It would just set us back another 2 weeks.  Peggy will work with Jeff to come up with a letter.  The letter and the ordinance will go out to property owners in the next week.  This do not just include residential this includes business owner too.  There are several business buildings that need attention.

We may still want to come up with a trailer ordinance – example once the current trailer is gone it would need replaced within 1 month and be no older than 10 years.

Jeff to look into fence ordinance or rules.  Jeff to make personal contact to see what is the goal ?  Paul states – Ugly is not a crime !

Mayor to Blossom – Thank you for getting on these problem area and your dedication to get things done !


Old Business

Signs / posts still need fixed.


New Business

Council will begin to get paid on a monthly basis instead of quarterly.  This has to do with the retirement credit for each month.

Blossom — Has anyone suggested working on a Community Garden ?  FFA Group or Boy Scouts ?  Will check with park board on possible site.

The Funnybones playsets need to be completed so we can get ground cover done before community days.


Meeting adjourned 8:05 pm