Meeting Minutes: April 2, 2013

Created with Sketch.

Meeting Minutes: April 2, 2013


Council called to order by Mayor Amy Joseph on
Tuesday, April 2, 2013 at 7:30 pm at the Rockford Village Hall.

Invocation was given.

Pledge of Allegiance

Those present: Gehle, Steiner, Blossom, Pontsler, Searight, Heitkamp

Also attending:  Marti Lentz,  Nancy Leighner, Sergeant Stetler and Amy K. – Daily Standard.

Motion  Steiner   Second Gehle to accept the agenda as orders of the day.
Searight called for the question.  Steiner = y, Gehle = y, Searight = y, Blossom = y, Pontsler = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Motion: Searight.  Second Pontsler to accept the minutes from the
March 19, 2013  council meetings as presented.  Gehle called for the question.
Searight – y, Pontsler = y, Gehle = y, Steiner = y, Blossom = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.


Visitors to Address Council:

Mayor’s Report and Correspondence:


Village Administrator’s Report – Jeff Long – late

Mayor Joseph would like report ready even if unable to attend the meeting.

Committee Reports:

Finance Committee – Ron Searight

Motion Steiner to pay the bills in the amount of $79,752.20  –  Second Pontsler.
Bills included are normal operating expenses and disinfectant system..  Gehle called for the question.  Steiner = y, Pontsler = y, Gehle = y, Blossom = y, Searight = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Motion Pontsler to accept the Mayors Court pay in of $495.00.  Second Blossom Gehle called for the question.  Pontsler = y, Blossom = y, Gehle =y Steiner = y, Searight = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Finance Meeting scheduled for April 24th at 7 pm.   Jeff, Paul and Lisa are requested to be in attendance.


Service Committee:            Greg Pontsler  


1st reading – 02/19/13
2nd reading – 03/19/13
3rd reading – 04/02/13

Motion:  Searight.  Second Heitkamp.  Steiner called for the question.  Searight = y , Heitkamp = y, Steiner = y, Blossom = y, Pontsler = y.  Passed 6 yes.

Regarding several homes that have not been taken care of in the past, need to find ownership as someone may be interested in purchasing these properties.  Lisa to make some calls.


Safety Committee:            Chris Heitkamp

Snow removal during last storm started very early at approx 4 am.

The Village will NOT be holding a clean up day this year.  It’s not in the budget and has been abused in the past.   Maharg large item tickets are available at the Village office for purchase.

We will begin to get out and about looking at areas that need cleaned up since the
weather should be improving.

Stop sign at Main and Buckeye – faded and needs replaced.

Round posts such as on the fire department sign need fixed.



Economic Development Committee:   Eugene Steiner

The Dollar General project is beginning.  We are starting to receive calls about bid questions.   Project looks to start in May and be completed by July.


Public Utilities Committee:            Steve Gehle

Steve has been in contact with Jeff regarding the sewer plant upgrade.  Things are moving along on time for scheduled completion date.


Rules Committee:            Peggy Blossom

Peggy requested permission to review the current Ordinance handbook that has been made with ordinances placed in subject order.   She will be working to finish the project with indexs and subject matters.

Rules Committee meeting scheduled for April 10th at 7 pm.  We will be discussing the sample ‘unsafe building ordinance’ and the trailer ordinance.


Old Business

Need to find out what is going on with the fence on Columbia St.

Need to fix the pot holes in the alleyways.

The Clark station is doing some remodeling and will be re-opening soon.

Peggy requested the ordinance regarding trailers in the village.  At this point we have been unable to locate the official ordinance.  Might need to just do new one as the previous ordinance was done years and years ago.

Need to get with the Fire Department and see when the main street project will be completed.  It needs to be finished.


New Business


Jeff Long – Village Administrator report:

Work is being completed at the Wastewater treatment plant on the disinfection system.  The project should be wrapping up in about a week.

We are in a busy time.  With March not giving us a lot of nice weather to work in we have a lot of work that needs done quickly.  Request was made to work the employees 10 hour days and give comp time to use during the summer when outside work is caught up.  Council in agreement.

Issue with South Street property and some flooding.   Mayor requests that Jeff contact the owner.  There are some questions about how to go about fixing the problem.


Meeting adjourned 8:14 pm