Meeting Minutes: August 3, 2010
RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS:
Council called to order by Mayor Amy Joseph on
Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 7:30 pm at the Rockford Village Hall.
Invocation was given by Gene Steiner
Pledge of Allegiance
Those present: Gehle, Steiner, McKee, Pontsler, Searight, Heitkamp Also attending: Sergeant Stetler, Judy Koesters, Jeff Long,
Motion Steiner. Second Gehle to accept Agenda with correction to add Resolution 09-10 to the Economic Committee report as Orders of the Day. Searight called for the question. Steiner = y, Gehle = y, Searight = y, McKee = y, Pontsler = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 6 yes.
Motion: Searight. Second Heitkamp to accept the minutes from the July 20, 2010 meeting as presented. Heitkamp called for the question. McKee called for the question. Searight = y, Heitkamp = y, McKee = y, Gehle = y, Steiner = y, Pontsler = y. Passed 6 yes.
Visitors to Address Council:
Mayor’s Report and Correspondence:
- Letter of Support – West Central Ohio Land Conservancy’s Clean Ohio Fund application for a conservation easement for property owned by the Estate of George Wilson.
Village Administrator’s Report – Jeff Long
- Water Treatment Plant: The new treatment plant has been producing water for over a week now. At this time we are working with the engineer and contractor to work out a few problems. It is inevitable that at the end of a project of this size there will be some minor details to work out. The good news is that they are minor and we are addressing them. The plant is producing quality water and able to meet our demands. The operation is much more complicated than the old plant but I think we will see results of consistent availability better quality and more efficient production of water. We are able to monitor the plant at any time from a computer. I have brought my personal laptop from home for a quick demonstration. This plant will serve our village for many years.
- Distribution Lines: We are all aware that we have many water lines that need replaced. This has become even more evident with the new plant online. With the old plant we had no way of being sure how full the water towers were and could only produce about 180 gallons per minute. Now we have the technology to know precisely how full the water towers are and are able to produce over 400 gallons per minute. Last week we experienced four different water leaks in less than a 24 hour period. I personally believe that is the result of having a fuller tower and more pressure on the old lines. To alleviate the leaks I have lowered the towers 2 feet. This reduces our storage capacity by approximately 50,000 gallons. Hopefully this is short term and we will address the needs. I have given you a copy of a press release from the Ohio Department of Development. I know we quickly applied for this funding but the benefit of the $390,000 grant is huge for us. At this time we are working to secure the rest of the project cost through other agencies that is most affordable for us. When I receive more information we will need to have a Public Utilities Committee as well as Finance Committee meeting to review our options. My goal is to utilize the full amount to replace much needed lines. New lines will not only improve fire flows and reduce interruption of service but also have a significant impact on the delivered water quality, as well as a direct impact on possible economic development activities for the village.
- Lift Station: Our lift station is in need of improvements and they need to be done now. The valves and check valves need replaced as well as pumps. We will perform this in house. We have the valves and lines and will order a new pump. The pump cost is $5,929.00. This is a big project but I am sure our employees can do it.
- Storm Sewer: The storm sewer in the alley running north and south between Main Street and Franklin Street from Pearl Street to W Market Street has collapsed. This is a very old and very deep line that is under the new sanitary sewer. We are examining ways to take care of the situation completely with the least cost. At this time I think we will have to plug the line at the alley intersection and install a new line running south to a manhole on Pearl Street. This storm sewer has been a problem as the condition is poor. Luckily when we did the reconstruction of South Street we planned ahead and relieved this line with a new outlet from Pearl Street all the way to the river. This should allow us to install a much shallower line to Pearl Street for drainage. We are investigating affected buildings and if needed we will give each building a place to connect with a sump pump. We are planning to do this in house except for blocking the old line as we can not excavate that deep.
- West Market Street: Some trees have been removed. The water line has been delivered. I will be getting a more formal schedule of the work this week.
Finance Committee – Todd McKee
Motion Steiner, Second Pontsler to pay bills as submitted by the Fiscal Officer in the amount of $17,420.66. Gehle called for the question. Steiner = y, Pontsler = y, Gehle = y, McKee = y, Searight = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 6 yes.
Motion Searight to accept Mayors Court Pay in of $1835.00. Second Pontsler. Gehle called for the question. Searight = y, Pontsler = y, Gehle = y, Steiner = y, McKee = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 6 yes.
Discussed letters from Berkadia regarding loan payments.
Held a short meeting after last council meeting on 07/20/10. Reviewed the written objections to the Market Street project. Most concerns and questions were handled earlier in the meeting. There are a few others that have since been addressed. The project is underway.
Safety Committee: Ron Searight
Economic Development Committee: Eugene Steiner
A RESOLUTION OF THE COUNCIL OF THE VILLAGE OF ROCKFORD, OHIO CREATING AND ADOPTING A ROCKFORD REVITALIZATION PROGRAM.
Motion Gehle. Second Searight. Pontsler called for the question.
Gehle = y, Searight = y, Pontsler = y, Steiner = y, McKee = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 6 yes.
The Town Hall meeting has been scheduled for August 31st at 7 pm to present the Revitalization program to our residents, realtors and bankers. Invitations will be sent to local realtors and bankers.
Invitation to all Council to the September 16th RADC meeting. Shinn Brothers will be here to give us information on the Splash Pad.
Public Utilities Committee: Greg Pontsler
Will set a Public Utilities meeting next week
Rules Committee: Chris Heitkamp
Committee currently reviewing ordinances.
Need to take care of weed problems and vehicles with expired tags.
Tentative date to have meter information on water bills is November and December.
Meeting adjourned 8:19 pm.