Meeting Minutes: July 20, 2010

Created with Sketch.

Meeting Minutes: July 20, 2010


Council called to order by Mayor Amy Joseph on
Tuesday, July 20, 2010 at 7:30 pm at the Rockford Village Hall.

Invocation was given by Gene Steiner
Pledge of Allegiance
Those present: Gehle , Steiner, McKee, Pontsler, Searight, Heitkamp

Also attending: Janie Southard, Sergeant Stetler, Judy Koesters, Jeff Long, Kenny Miller, Lowell & Elsie Beougher, Emma Lou Shaffer, Gary Shaffer, Al Heitkamp, Norm VanTilburg, Jim & Joann Sturgeon, Tom Beahrs, Janie Rose, Randy & Marilyn Long, Keith Courtney, Amber Hall,

Holly Wehe, Brian Miller, Don Pontsler, Tammy Cheek, Travis & Audrey Nuttle, Tom Lyons, Roy & Mona Thompson, Fred Vann, Brett Jones, Dusty Rutledge, Tammy Barlarge, Randy Gutierrez

Motion Steiner. Second Pontsler to accept Agenda as Orders of the Day. Gehle called for the question. Steiner = y, Pontsler = y, Gehle = y, McKee = y, Searight = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 6 yes.

Motion: Searight. Second McKee to accept the minutes from the July 6, 2010 meeting as presented. Heitkamp called for the question. Searight = y, McKee = y, Heitkamp = y, Gehle = y, Steiner = y, Pontsler = y, Passed 6 yes.

Visitors to Address Council:

Market Street residents were invited to meeting to discuss the Market
Street reconstruction project. Mayor Joseph welcomed and thanked the resident who came to the meeting. Jeff gave an explanation of what is going to take place:

The contractors will excavate and lower the street 6 inches. The top of the curb will remain as is – at the same level. The street will be built up with 8” of compact stone and an additional 6” of asphalt. The tree lawns will be
7’ wide from Vine to Smith Street, 7.5’ from Vine to Jay, and 8.5 from Jay to Franklin.

The trees to be removed have a red dot painted on them. If home owners want the wood from the trees – please let Jeff know as soon as possible. The contractors will be contacted and they will leave 8’ logs in yard. The brush and limbs will be hauled away. There will be approximately 30 new trees planted. Varieties include: Kwanzan Cherry, Crimson King Maple and Red Oak.

The curb/ gutter was estimated at $10 / ft and that is what the actual bid came to. The sidewalk was estimated at $4 sq. ft. but actually came in a little lower at $3.00 sq ft. Driveways estimated at $40 sq yd, came in at $35.00 sq yd. The Village will be covering the cost of sidewalk removal. There will be some storm sewers installed to help with some not draining as well. The project will be completed this fall. The final assessments will not go out until next June. You will have 30 days to make the payment or it will automatically be placed on the tax duplicate. It will appear on the taxes the following February (2012). The final bill will be the exact bill with actual footage – again will not be mailed out until June 2011.

Plans are available at the Village Office for review. The floor was opened to questions and comments:

  1. Why is the curb not going out to the last street? Right now we are just replacing existing curb.
  2. Wanting information about trees? If you want the wood, please let Jeff know as he will need to contact the Contractor. They will leave wood in 8’ logs. It will be up to the home owner to get logs cut up and removed. The contractor will take away the brush and limbs. It will take approximately 2 weeks to take trees down. The contractors will be reseeding and fertilizing yards when project is complete.
  3. Will we be restricting 18 wheelers, tractors, farm equipment, etc from going down Market St once the project is complete? We can’t restrict vehicles from a public roadway. The street currently is on a brick base. Was not built for heavy machinery at the time. The current plan is going to hold up better and longer. Also comment made that the widened bridge should allow some farm traffic to go down Township Line Rd to 33.
  4. Why aren’t we putting sidewalks along the field? At this time, the field is not in the corporation. If in the future the field gets developed, sidewalks would then be installed.
  5. What happens if there is property damage? The contractors will be responsible for any damage. What about the water meter areas that have not been taken care of? The contractor for that job will be back this fall to correct those problems.
  6. Do the home owners have to pay for sidewalks that have corners? The Village will be taking care of the costs for right aways. Home owners will be paying for actual property footage.
  7. Sidewalk is over 15 years, but in good shape – no cracks. Still have to be replaced? We have an ordinance 0-5 years 100% credit, 6-10 years 70%credit, 11-15 years 40% credit. It also must meet the spec requirements. Will need to look at that.
  1. Will the mail continue to be delivered? The contractors are to keep the road open so that mail can be delivered. There may be a day or two though when they are working directly in front of home, that the mail may not be delivered. The contractors will take care of taking mailbox out and re-installing it. The mailbox is to be even to the backside of the curb so that especially in the winter the boxes don’t get knocked down by plows.
  2. There was an easement in drive for the previous owners – will it still be considered? We will invoice according to property lines – should be the same.
  3. Property owner has received 3 cheaper estimates, can we contract our own sidewalks? As long as it is to spec. You will need the contractor to contact Jeff to review and make sure everything is the same.
  4. Could the Village buy the right away in front of the field to install sidewalks? It’s not in the budget to purchase land to install sidewalks. If and when it is developed we would require sidewalks. Sidewalks have been an issue for many years. Holly Lane is the next project. We will be breaking up the Village into quarters and each year complete a quarter over the next 5 years. We have to plan. We don’t want to install sidewalks one year and then two years down the road have a road project and have to re-do sidewalks. We have to make sure all the underground project are completed before we do a road project.
  5. How does the government grant work? The grant is for a specific amount but pays out on actual bids. Therefore, the lower the bid the lower the grant and lower matching funds By law we could assess the top level of the asphalt and engineering fees, but Council does not want to burden the home owners with extra costs. The sidewalk assessments have been Village wide – Front Street and South Main St.
  6. What will happen to the concrete? The contractor will be hauling it out. We may benefit from some of the fill to help where needed.
  7. Concerns regarding trees. On Front street there is no shade. Street and sidewalks get very hot in the summer. We want trees for shade. The trees on Front street are actually shrubs. It will be years before they provide shade if ever. We want nice tree lawns with shade trees. Trees these days with the environment will not grow and mature as fast to provide shade. Can’t we change the landscape to keep some trees? If the roots cause sidewalks to crack then it would be the home owners responsibility to repair the sidewalk.
  1. What gives you the legal right to take down trees that encroach the right away? Jeff will have survey work done and show where the right away is located.
  2. Dusty Rutledge would like the firewood if the contractor will let him have it.

Mayor Joseph thanked all for coming.

Mayor’s Report and Correspondence: Village Administrator’s Report – Jeff Long

Committee Reports:

Finance Committee – Todd McKee

Motion Steiner, Second Gehle to pay bills as submitted by the Fiscal Officer in the amount of $9,799.66. Pontsler called for the question. Steiner = y, Gehle = y, Pontsler = y, McKee = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 6 yes.

ServiceCommittee: SteveGehle

Service committee to meet after Council for a quick meeting.

Safety Committee: Ron Searight

Had committee meeting on July 6 after Council. Discussed the following:
Fire hydrants – Jeff to come up with a comprehensive fire hydrant plan.
Street signs in allys need to be changed. Need to update street signs ~ some are worn and some are not there. Need to get with Paul regarding cruiser.

The curb at Franklin and First needs to be painted yellow by hydrant so there is no parking in front of it during football season.

Economic Development Committee: Eugene Steiner

Meeting scheduled for tonight was rescheduled for July 26th at 7 pm.

Next RADC meeting – September 16th at 7:30 PM. We will be meeting with the contractor for the Splash Park. Will be getting some estimates.

Public Utilities Committee: Greg Pontsler

  • ORDINANCE 04-10


  • 1ST reading – 06/15/10
  • 2nd reading – 07/06/10
  • 3rd reading – 07/20/10

Motion: Pontsler. Second Steiner. Gehle called for the question. Pontsler = y, Steiner = y, Gehle = y, McKee = y, Searight = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 6 yes.

Meeting last week canceled. Water plant behind schedule. If all things go good this week we may be up and running. We need to pull samples this week.
When that is complete the contractor needs to finish the floor. Then we can take a field trip to check out the new water plant. May have date that it would be open to the public.

Rules Committee: Chris Heitkamp

Have given out 1 years worth of ordinances to each member and have started reviewing them.

Old Business

New Business

Regarding the Splash Pad – the RADC has $30,000. Several investors have come forward to help out with remaining costs of Splash Pad.


Meeting adjourned 8:41 pm.