Meeting Minutes: May 17, 2016

Created with Sketch.

Meeting Minutes: May 17, 2016

                        RECORD OF PROCEEDINGS:


Council called to order by Mayor Amy Joseph on

Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 7:30 pm at the Rockford Village Hall.


Invocation was given by Jeff Long


Pledge of Allegiance


Those present: Gehle, Rutledge, Fox, Pontsler, Dooley, Heitkamp


Also attending: Jeff Long, Marti Lentz, Nancy Leighner, Chief May


Motion Gehle. Second Heitkamp to accept the agenda as orders of the day.  Fox called for the question.  Gehle = y, Heitkamp = y, Fox = y. Rutledge = y, Dooley = y, Pontsler =  y.  Passed 6 yes.


Motion Gehle. Second Fox  to accept the minutes from the

May 3, 2016 council meetings as presented. Dooley called for the question.

Gehle = y, Fox = y, Dooley = y, Rutledge = y, Pontsler = y, Heitkamp = y. Passed 6 yes.


Visitors to Address Council:


Nancy Leighner spoke about the Splash Pad Committee, the Park Board and the Village working together to purchase some animal themed trash cans for the park. 2 Tidy Bears and a dolphin named Splash.  It’s great working with other groups to make park improvements.  There was also some concern about grass clippings on the splash pad and in the flower beds.  We have some really great volunteers and we don’t want to lose them.  We appreciate all the volunteer efforts at the park.  Nancy also asked about the Randy Gutierrez memorial funds be put to use in a drinking fountain made in brick.  If additional funds are needed, the Splash pad committee will donate more.  Nancy will be checked on a memorial plaque.


Marti Lentz wanted to recognize the efforts of a councilman that mowed his neighbor’s yard. Very commendable. Thank you.


Jeff noted that we had a tournament this weekend at Shanes Park.  We had 12 teams – lots of compliments on our park.  Thank you for all the generous donations and volunteer efforts that make our park !  We only budget $2,000 for park expenses so you can see that most improvements get done with donations.


Mayor’s Report and Correspondence:


Receipt and review of Mayors Court April pay in,

April bank reconciliation, and April bank statement


Upcoming Community events:


May 21st – The Rockford Belle – Blind Date Concert – Doors open at 6 pm.  Show starts at 7 pm. – $7.00 donation at the door.


May – 30th – Memorial Day Parade 11 am – Mr. Harrison Frech will be the  Speaker at the Legion –  Chicken Dinners – pre sale tickets on sale now.


Rockford Community Vacation Bible School June 6th – June 10th

Located at Rockford United Methodist Church – for information

419-363- 3230.


June 13th – Bicentennial Committee Meeting – 7 pm


Shanes Park – Summer Lunch in the Park to be held rain or shine on Wednesdays beginning June 15th – August 17th.  Sponsored by the Parkway Ministerial Assocation.  Any and all welcome !


Rockford Community Days – June 17th & 18th


Rockford Community Garage Sales – June 17th & 18th



Village Administrator’s Report – Jeff Long


It has been brought to our attention that Larry McDonough is considering building a starter turkey barn on his property. This would create a huge problem with our subdivision plans.  Not sure anyone will invest in a new home with a turkey barn in the back yard even though there is apparently no oder.   The engineering has been stopped so that the information could be presented to council.   Phone calls have been made to Dublin Township and the Mercer County Economic development – there is no public hearing required since it’s a relatively small operation.   Once a starter barn would be established we don’t know if there would be any expansion in the future.  This is a big disappointment.  Jeff’s opinion that this will kill the sub division plans.


Council asked Jeff to get a hold of Andy Rogers and go ahead and plant for this season. We will be in a holding pattern until we find out what McDonough is going to do.


We will look into and hope we can find some other options for a sub division. This is a real set back.


Updated on the Wastewater Treatment Plant – per the EPA the design needs to change to handle our discharge limits. There will be a meeting with the EPA, Fremont, Engineering and the Village in the next week.  With Fremont planning a large development we need to make sure everything is considered before we move ahead with designs.


Handicap spaces at the new building will be improved.


Gehle would like to see the step situation improved. It needs gussied up a little.  Steve will get with Jeff on some ideas to make improvement.


We are aware that the Trailer Park is for sale. The price in the newspaper ad was

$160,000. Rob to call the owner to discuss pricing and options.



Committee Reports


Finance Committee – Steve Gehle


Motion Rutledge. Second Fox  to approve bills submitted in the amount of $12,862.26  Pontsler called for the question.  Rutledge = y, Fox = y, Pontsler = y, Gehle = y, Dooley = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.


Motion Pontsler. Second Fox to accept the Mayors Court pay in $2207.00.  Dooley called for the question.  Pontsler = y, Fox = y, Dooley = y, Gehle = y, Rutledge = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.


Motion Gehle. Second Heitkamp to approve purchase orders.  Dooley called for the question.  Gehle = y, Heitkamp = y, Dooley = y, Rutledge = y, Fox = y, Pontsler = y.  Passed 6 yes.


The 2017 Annual Budget to Mercer County Auditor by July 15th. We will have a public hearing on July 5th at 7 pm.


Service Committee:   Greg Pontsler  


As noted before there was a tournament at the park over the weekend. The park looks great.  The new parking area was full.  Parkway won the tournament.


Fox asked about the property where the pool was located – it now belongs to the school so any concern would be brought to their attention.



Safety Committee:     Chris Heitkamp – nothing


Economic Development Committee: Rob Rutledge  – nothing



Public Utilities Committee:   Wilbur Fox – nothing



Rules Committee:      John Dooley  


The Rules committee had a meeting on May 17th at 7 pm to discuss the subdivision issues.  Discussed the need to get the ordinances in an easy to access version on the web site. Lisa working with Brand It Marketing.  The quote came back at $150.


Motion Gehle. Second Pontsler to approve $150 towards updating the web site with our current ordinances by subject.  Fox called for the question.  Gehle = y, Fox = y, Dooley = y, Rutledge = y, Pontsler = y, Heitkamp = y.  Passed 6 yes.


Old Business


Light Poles need installed.


Police car grant – reviewing in May or June. Should hear something in July.


No bids on the police cruiser – Will be listing on Man Cave.



New Business



Meeting adjourned 8:10.



____________________________                _____________________________

Mayor                                                              Fiscal Officer